Monday, June 20, 2016

The Fun Factor

Hi everyone!

So, I just got an email from the people I auditioned for in the post that had Audition #5 in it.  Sadly, I didn't get offered the job.  Kind of bummed, but also okay with it too.  They sent a nice email and said that they would keep my materials.  Standard things that most companies say.  But even though I didn't get hired, I still consider that audition a victory.  I was satisfied with what I was able to do on that day, know what I need to do to improve, and I had fun...which brings me to the title of this post, "The Fun Factor."

I think everyone is familiar with this term, especially if you've worked in theatre.  It's that phrase that reminds us that work doesn't have to be a four letter word and that you should never forget to allow yourself to have fun with what you're doing.  Recently though, it's been harder for me to remember this.  As someone who still feels pretty insecure about the job hunt, I've admittedly been getting caught up in thoughts like:

"Oh my god, I need to get this job,"
"It's over if no one wants to hire me," and
"If I don't get this job, I'm a failure."

I'm sure most people have been in a similar situation.  I know that people will say things like "you shouldn't think those thoughts" and "that's not true!" but the fact of the matter is that when you care about something so much and you have no control over the uncertainty of it...yeah.  These thoughts tend to cross your mind.  But a few days ago, I got some pretty good insight as to how to overcome these kind of thoughts which ties into, you guessed it, the importance of the Fun Factor.

I ran into an old voice teacher last week when I was finishing up working at a school.  She asked me how things were going, and I told her about my audition experience.  One of the best pieces of advice she gave to me was that I should start treating auditions not as job interviews, but chances to have fun.  I know that a lot of people have been giving this advice to me before...but it's different when you hear it from someone who you know believes in you one hundred percent, wants to see you do well, and has been where you've been.  She told me that the more I have fun in auditions, the better my auditions will be.  Instead of getting caught up in the thoughts I mentioned early, it would be better for me to go into a room, have a good time, and walk out with the feeling of "Oh, that was fun!"

It's an easier said than done concept for sure, but I know there's truth to it.  So, with the audition I have coming up this Saturday, I'm going to do my best to remember what she said.  I'm going to have fun with the monologues I've prepared, and hope that the rest will fall into place.

Until next time!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment