Hi everyone!
So, I had another audition two days ago. Here's how that one went.
I should start out by saying that most auditions I've gone to in New York City have been relatively small. I think the biggest one I'd gone to had about fifty people auditioning at a time. This one, however, was HUGE. By the time things got started, over 150 people had signed up. I've heard that's typical for an open call in the city, but it was a surprise to me, to say the least.
The way the audition worked was like this. Groups of fifteen people were seen at a time, everyone was taught a short dance combination, they did it, and then everyone went back to the holding room to wait to see if they got a callback. I was in one of the last few groups to go in to dance, so I had some time to shake out any of the nerves I had previously been feeling. Going into the audition room felt fine. Actually auditioning, though, was a different story.
We were all taught a short ballet combination. At first, I was thrilled, because while I'm not Tiler Peck, I consider my ballet technique to be decent. Plus, it's a dance style I love to do. When I was called up to the combination, I felt confident. But as soon as I started dancing...yeah, I lost my cool. Not outwardly, mind you, but I felt like a hot mess on the inside. I screwed up the combination, and when names were called out after my round, I was not asked to stay.
Normally when this happens, I'm okay with it. Or at the very least, I'm able to not get super upset over being cut. But after getting up at 4am to have my dad drive me three and a half hours to the city, dance for less than five minutes, be cut after the first round, have my dad drive me three hours back home, and then have my mom drive me to a rehearsal that's two hours away, I wasn't the happiest of campers.
I know that this is the unfortunate reality of auditions, and maybe if I lived in the city, I wouldn't be as upset over being cut. I also know that my disappointment is mostly with myself. It's always frustrating when you go in for something, be it an audition, a job interview, or anything of the sort and don't feel like you got to showcase yourself in the best possible way. It's especially hard for me not to demean myself after this happens, too. I've admittedly been in a bit of a funk since Wednesday, but I'm trying to bring myself out of it. After all, that's all performers really can do when something doesn't go the way they want it to go. And fortunately, there's always ways to buck up your spirits when you're down. I like to talk with friends, read, and watch YouTube videos. Here's one I like to watch after an audition like this one (thanks Mary Kate Wiles!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfTMCQu1tfM
On a lighter note, tonight is an open dress rehearsal for the show I'm in! If you happen to be in the Ithaca area, stop by Studio 4 in the Dillingham Center at 8pm at Ithaca College to check it out. :)
I may or may not have another audition coming up at the end of the month. If I decide to go on it, I'll be sure to write a post on it. Also, be on the lookout for a post in the next few days that covers what the show I'm in is all about.
Until next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment