As promised, here's my post about the show I'm in. Let's get started:
So, Gaybraham Lincoln: The Musical. What's the story? The concept is that Abraham Lincoln is actually gay, and has a secret relationship with John Wilkes Booth. Meanwhile, Mary Todd Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant end up having their own affair while the Civil War is going on. (This is usually the part where people laugh when I tell this story in person. I hope that you're laughing too!)
Sounds pretty ridiculous, doesn't it? Well, I'm here to tell you...yeah, it is, It's ridiculous, crazy, strange...but also funny, interesting, and surprisingly moving. The show is so much more than a historical farce. Yes, it pokes fun at history and takes more than a few liberties with what actually happened in America during the 1860s. But beyond that, the show delivers a really powerful message about acceptance of ones' self and of others.
I mentioned in a previous post that I met the people who created the show when I was a freshman in college. Looking back, it's pretty amazing to see what the show has become. I never would have thought I'd be here performing it, but I'm so glad I am. The cast and crew are all great, and it's been an experience like none I've had so far.
I know I promised I'd get this post up before the show opened, but...yeah. I was traveling all day on Wednesday and didn't get a solid moment to myself until right now. I'm of the notion, though, that when it comes to these posts, it's better late than never to have them up! Right? Right.
Last night was our opening night. All in all, it was a solid performance. Despite any technical issues we might have had, I think that the audience really liked what we did. My parents also came up for the show, so it was great to see them too! After the show, I got dinner at a diner with a few other castmates and stayed in for the night.
We have two more shows before our run is over, one today and one on Sunday. Since we have Saturday off, I'm planning on going on a few auditions. As per usual, I'll update you all on that. In the meantime, please enjoy this super cute picture from backstage at Gaybraham:
(I'm the one in the blue shirt!)
Since Saturday is our day off, I'm planning on doing a few auditions. As per usual, there will be a post about those when the time comes. Until then, though, I'm planning on relaxing, sight seeing, food eating, and getting ready for the second show tonight. If you're in the NYC area, you should come check it out! 6:15pm tonight and 8:30pm tomorrow at the Hudson Guild Theatre.
See you soon!
See you soon!

No comments:
Post a Comment