Sunday, April 10, 2016

Applying for an Audition (In Ten Paragraphs or Less)

Hello everyone!

It's a little after 11pm, I'm not doing a whole lot right now, and I don't want to go to bed just yet.  So, I thought now would be a good time to share with you all another aspect of the audition process that quite frankly, I'm surprised that not a lot of people seem to talk about.  That would be the process of applying for auditions.

Now, I know what you're thinking.  Something along the lines of "What!??  You have to APPLY for auditions!!??  You can't just go on as many as you like?!?!  How completely and utterly unfair/horrible/confusing/messy!  THE HUMANITY!!!!"   ...Okay, maybe you weren't thinking that.  Sometimes it's just fun to be dramatic.  :P  I bet, though, that a few of you reading this who've never gone through the audition process might be a bit confused, as the phrase "applying for auditions" may seem strange.  I know I definitely felt this way the first time I heard of someone say something along the lines of "I'm trying to get an audition appointment" or "I need to sign up to get an audition."  The fact of the matter is, though, that this is (at least in my experience so far) one of the most common, time consuming, and often most frustrating parts of the whole audition process.  But what does the phrase "applying for auditions" really mean?  Well, I'll tell you.   But first...

*DISCLAIMER: The following post will be lengthy, as it covers all the details of my personal audition process.  Feel free to grab some food, a blanket, and maybe even a bottle of Pinot if you feel so inclined.*

When you're a performer, you don't always get the luxury of being able to go to every audition you hear about.  This is because that for most professional auditions for things like opera/musical theatre companies, young artist programs, summer stock shows, etc., you need to apply to even be considered for an audition.  Granted, there are times when auditions are being held and walk-ins are permitted, but more often than not, people tend to submit forms and materials to a casting company to even been considered to be seen.

Since I currently don't have an agent or any representation, I usually find out about auditions on websites like YAP Tracker or Backstage.  My application process starts when I get an email alert from either of these websites with upcoming auditions listed.  I'll read through the notices, and if I see one that catches my eye, I'll check into more.  This is where the time consuming part of the process comes into play, because there are a lot of details to consider when it comes to deciding whether or not I want to or can apply for an audition.  First, I'll check to see what the audition is for.  After that, I check to see where it is.  Auditions far outside of New York State are usually a no-go for me, since I can't afford to travel super far right now.  Of course, if the application says I can submit a video audition, I'll be all over it.  Hooray for YouTube!

The next thing I'll check to see is if the opportunity is paid or unpaid.  Nowadays, it's rare for me to apply for something that doesn't offer me money.  Hey, a girl's got to make a living somehow.  After that, I'll see if the audition will take a performer like me.  Any audition that requires education beyond a Bachelors degree, membership in an artistic union, or calls for someone of a different racial and ethnic background than mine isn't one that I can submit myself for.  It's unfortunate at times, because these auditions are often the most professional and high paying ones.  But hey, here's hoping that one day I'll get my Equity card.  #livingthedream

Audition materials come next.  At minimum, most companies will want you to send a resume and a headshot to them via email or the postal system.  Sometimes, you'll submit these materials as well as an audition video, a cover letter, a bio, and/or references based on the requirements of the notice.  There's usually a form you'll have to fill out too where you list basic information about yourself, the repertoire you plan to present at the audition, and anything else the company wants to know.  This is also where my FAVORITE part of the process happens too; a little thing known as paying an audition fee, which can usually range from twenty-five to seventy dollars.  Isn't that just peachy for an unemployed college student who practically lives off of dining hall food and her parents' incomes?

Once everything is squared away, the waiting game begins.  This for me is the worst part of it all, because I'm not exactly a patient person.  It can take weeks or even months for a company to let me know when or if they even want to see me for an audition.  Of course, there's always the possibility the company won't ever contact me about my audition request, which is always kind of a bummer.  But, when a company does contact me, I'll usually receive an email that'll say something like "Congratulations!  We'd like to see you on (date) at (time) at (location" or "Thank you very much for applying, but we're not offering you an audition."  Unfortunately, the latter tends to happen more often.  For example, at the start of this academic year, I submitted myself for thirteen different auditions.  Out of those, I got live auditions for two of them, and wasn't offered any jobs.  Boo...  But, I've kept my head up since then, I've applied for more jobs, and while I've had no luck yet, I'm ever the optimist.  I have to be, after all.

That's all for now!  See you next post.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment