Saturday, April 9, 2016

Audition #1

Hello everyone!

Today's Saturday, and you know what that means.  That's right folks, today was audition day!  Yay!!!  I've been home for a few hours now, relaxing in my room with some Ben & Jerry's and some funny YouTube videos.  I figured that now was as good a time as any to tell you about my audition.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this in my last post, but the audition I had today was for a company that's putting a few plays this summer and one in the fall.  I had signed up for an audition time on the company's website about a week ago and got the audition material right afterwards.  This week was busy and stressful, what with being only a week away from performing the show I'm currently in plus the added stress of being a college senior.  Nonetheless, I still found time to look over the sides and familiarize myself with the material.  I did a lot of the things I wrote about in my last post, including watch video SparkNote summaries of the plays (even though the plays are pretty well known, I'm still being vague for safety purposes.)

Anywho, here's what happened today.  Before my audition, I took the bus downtown to run to the recycling center at the grocery store.  Why, you may ask?  Well, when you're a poor college student, sometimes you have make a twenty minute walk to recycle bottles just to make sure you have money to ride the bus home after a long day.  Such is life.  :P  After my trip, I made my way back to the downtown area to get some food.  I walked to my audition afterwards and got there about thirty minutes early.  A good thing too, since I had to change from warm, winter clothes to audition attire.  (I still can't believe how cold it is here, and it's still April!!  Grr...)  On the plus side, one of my friends from school was tabling at the audition, and it was great to see her.  :)

I waited for a few minutes in the area outside the audition room before I was called in to read.  This is one of the reasons I always try to get to auditions early, besides doing it out of common courtesy.  I'm one of those people that  needs a few minutes to herself before doing something big like performing, especially since I'm prone to nervousness and anxiety.  This time, however, I felt pretty calm and relaxed.  I breathed a bit, looked over the monologues I was supposed to read, and then proceeded to go into the room.

My audition consisted of me reading all the monologues I had been given for the director of the productions.  After I had finished, he gave me some direction for three of monologues and I read them again.  I normally hate reading at auditions, especially since it's been a while since I've auditioned for any straight plays.  This time, though, I felt pretty confident each time I read.  There were a few mistakes here and there, but so what?  The director seemed pleased and even told me  did a good job reading for a part I want (yay!)  He also said that he would be in touch soon, so I think I'll know by the end of next week whether or not I got cast.  Of course I want a part, but even if nothing happens, it feels good knowing I did a good audition and had a lot of fun doing it too.  :)

After every audition I do, I like to write down all the details about it in my notebook.  It's a good way of keeping track of things, and it helps me to notice patterns of what does or doesn't work for me.  Here's a picture of my audition notebook for your viewing pleasure:



(See how pretty?)
That's it for today.  Now onto treating myself for a job well done.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment