Sunday, April 3, 2016

Preparing for an Audition: What I Like To Do

Hello everyone!

Now that I've gotten past my first post on this blog, it's time for a second entry!  Today, I decided that I would write about my process about preparing for an audition, considering the fact that I have one on this coming Saturday!  Yay!!!

I'll start out by saying that my preparation process isn't a rigid thing; I definitely change up my methods of getting ready to do an audition depending on what the audition requires me to do.  The following paragraphs, however, are kind of a basic guideline as to what I generally like to do before audition day arrives.  So, without further adieu, let's get started.  Ahem...

Once I know that I have an audition for something, I usually start by reading through the original audition notice a bunch of times.  This is to make sure that I have all the information about what I'm supposed to prepare, the audition time and location, and anything else I need to know squared away.  Next comes learning about the show I'll be auditioning for.  Ideally, I like to read the libretto of the show and watch a few performances of it on YouTube, just to get an idea of what it's all about.  However, if I don't have enough time between getting the audition and the actual date to do all this, Wikipedia and YouTube are usually a safe bet on their own.

After all the logistical details about the show and audition are solidified, the process of getting my audition materials ready begins.  This is by far the part of my preparation process that varies the most.  Since I try to go out for as many auditions as I can, it makes sense that what I have to do for each will be different.  If the audition is for an opera company, I'll usually have to have a minimum of two arias (solo pieces from operas) in different languages prepared.  For a musical theatre audition, I'll most likely have to sing two 16 bars cuts of contrasting musical theatre songs, usually an uptempo piece and a ballad.  For a play, sometimes I'll have to prepare a monologue or read material that's either given to me before or on the day of the audition.  Audition notices aren't always this specific or basic, but I think you get the idea.

Now comes the question of "How do you pick your specific audition materials?"  Well, I'll tell you.  For things like operas and musicals, I usually have materials already prepared and ready to go.  Sometimes in an opera audition, you'll be asked to bring a list of arias, usually around four or five.  The ones I include on the list I bring are often pieces I've worked on for a significant amount of time, and that I would feel comfortable singing at the drop of a hat.  When it comes to musical theatre auditions, I'll usually have two cuts ready to go, one that shows off my soprano range and one that shows off my ability to belt.  I'll also bring the sheet music along for a few other songs in case I'm asked to sing something else.  For plays, same kind of deal; I'll have at least two monologues prepared of contrasting moods and/or styles.

I think it's also important to mention that when I pick materials for audition, there are two factors I consider before make any final decisions.  Those factors would be:

1. What is the "style" of the show I'm auditioning for?  and
2. What materials will best show me off to whoever will be in my audition room?

The style of the show I'm auditioning for definitely influences what I end up choosing to present.  For example, if I have an audition for a musical written by Rodgers and Hammerstein, I probably wouldn't sing something from a musical like Rent or Wicked, since the styles are so different.  The same can be said for plays; I probably wouldn't to a tear-jerking dramatic monologue for a play that's considered a comedy.  As for showing off in an audition, I'll try to find materials that showcase a specific part of my abilities as a performers.  A song with big high notes in it?  Great!  A monologue for someone who can do different dialects?  Cool!  A piece meant for an actress that could play a child?  Awesome!  I think you know what I mean.  :)

Finally, once I know what materials I'll be using, I'll practice them.  How much practice will I do?  Again, it depends on the audition.  I will say, though, that I tend to practice more for auditions that ask me to read a scene or monologue.  Why?  Because singing comes more naturally to me than acting does.  That's not to say that I don't ever practice for an audition where I have to sing (quite the contrary.)  I'll listen to recordings of the musical or opera my pieces are from, sing through them a lot, and make sure that they're fresh in my mind when audition day rolls around.

And there you have it!  A condensed version of what I do to get ready for an audition.  Speaking of which, I should probably get back to getting ready for Saturday,  Fingers crossed!!


No comments:

Post a Comment